Algol 60 is the First!
Algol 60 is the first real programming language. FORTRAN is just a very high level assembler language with automatic formula translation and variable memory allocation. Look at the Algol 60 History menu item and Main steps in Algol development menu item for a short FORTRAN review.
From a hundred programming languages we can select three "golden" languages: Algol 60, Simula 67 and C (created at 1972, we can call it C 72). They had a very strong influence on all other programming languages.
But Algol 60 is the first! Simula 67 is just Algol 60 with Object Oriented Programming and string processing extensions. C is Algol 60 - like with "syntax sugar" and with structures, memory pointers, modular programming and a big function library.
C++, Java and C# include all concepts from the "golden trio" each in there own way. Only Basic is the child of FORTRAN
This site can be useful for
- programmer studying Algol 60
- reader of a book with Algol 60 programs
- engineers and scientists who have Algol 60 libraries and want to use them
- students who are professionally studying programming
- studying history of programming languages development
- college and university instructors
- new programming language developers
- all others, who want to use this classic language
This site can also be useful for AlgolW study
Look at menu and go forward!